With billions of daily active users, the huge social platform Facebook permits its users to share or post about almost anything going on around them or in their own lives. It connects its users with the entire world.
Most people use the mobile app for Facebook as it is more suitable to use and can be easily operated anytime and from anywhere.
But sometimes, users have to face errors and issues while using the platform through their Facebook mobile apps.
One such annoying issue that the users often face on the Facebook app is the “You are currently offline” error.
In this article, we will be discussing this issue in detail and will provide you with some genuine fixes to resolve the issue.
The “You are currently offline” error message pops up with different error messages on androids and iPhones, but the dismiss alternative exists with both types of messages.
What Does “You Currently Offline Mean” on Facebook?
On Facebook, ‘You are currently offline’ error refers to the situation when you are using the Facebook app but suddenly get offline or get disconnected from the Facebook network.
Sometimes, you can encounter this problem simply after opening the application.
In this issue, a notification pops up on your mobile screens telling that you are currently offline, along with a dismiss button.
There can be numerous reasons responsible for the occurrence of the ‘You are currently offline’ error on the Facebook App, which we will be talking about in the next segment of this write-up.
Why Does Facebook Say “You are Currently Offline”?
There can be many reasons responsible for the Facebook saying “You are currently offline” issue.
The prime ones are as follows:
- ‘You are currently offline’ error can be due to the presence of corrupted files or bugs in the Facebook App’s cache on your device.
- Your poor or weak-signaled Internet connection may also be a major reason for the issue to arise on your device.
- Having the outdated version of the Facebook Application can also result in the ‘You are currently offline ‘ on your smartphone.
- The presence of some bugs in the phone, also suppresses the stable connectivity of your phone to the Facebook network.
How to Fix “Facebook Say You are Currently Offline”?
To resolve the “You are currently offline” issue, you can try the following fixes one by one.
Fix 1: Close the Facebook App and Restart
Closing and then restarting the Facebook App is the first thing you should try in this case. The steps for the same are given below.
Choose the set of steps that are suitable for you according to the device you use the Facebook App with.
Steps to Restart Facebook App on Android:
- Swipe up from your screen’s bottom or tap on the square button, this will show all of your recently opened Apps.
- Look for the Facebook App and then swipe up to close it.
- Now, lift off the Facebook App again and examine if the error has been eliminated or not. If not, then go for the second fix.
Steps for iPhone users to Restart Facebook App:
- From your iPhone’s bottom, swipe up on the screen upwards and hold to discover all the launched Apps on your iPhone.
- Close the Facebook App by swiping it up.
- Start the Facebook App then, from the main screen of your iPhone. Then check if the issue is there any more or not. If it is still there, then go for the second fix.
Fix 2: Clear Facebook App’s Cache
If you clear your Facebook App’s Cache, then your personal account’s data, posts, or photos will remain unaffected.
This will only clear the record of your Facebook app’s activities like the pages you have visited and the links you have clicked.
Steps to clear Facebook App Cache:
- Tap the 3-lines button located on the top-right of the screen.
- Find the Privacy and Settings option and choose it.
- Now, choose Settings from the drop-down menu that appears.
- After this choose the Browser option.
- Finally, choose the option Clear Browsing Data.
Many times, it is not possible to clear the Facebook cache through the Facebook App.
Moreover, it may leave some data unremoved also. So, you should also follow the below mentioned steps for Cache clearing depending upon the device you use.
Steps to Clear Facebook App Cache Data on iPhone:
- First of all, launch Settings on your iPhone.
- After this go to General>Usage>Manage Storage and then finally choose the Facebook option.
- Now, choose Delete App to uninstall Facebook app.
- After this, as a final step you need to go to the App Store to reinstall your Facebook App by typing its name in the search bar and then tapping install after you open its install page.
Steps to Clear Facebook Cache Data on Android
- First of all, look for the Settings app on your Android device and then launch it.
- Head to the Apps and Notifications option.
- Now, look for the Facebook App and then choose it.
- After this, you will either see Storage & Cache or Storage option, choose it.
- As a final step, choose the Clear Cache option, this will clear the Facebook App Cache.
Fix 3: Poor Internet Connection
Sometimes slow internet or weak internet signals cause connectivity problems on Facebook. This leads to the ‘You are currently offline’ issue on the Facebook App.’
So to troubleshoot the issue, you need to check whether your internet connection is working properly or not.
If the internet signals are unstable, then you should connect your phone to the stable network, if possible then try connecting to a broadband Wi-Fi and then see if the problem persists or has been eliminated.
If you have no other internet option available, then try putting your phone in Airplane mode for a few seconds and then close the Airplane mode and then check your Facebook App.
Fix 4: Restart the Smartphone
Trivial bugs in your phone cause the Apps to function improperly. These bugs can be removed to a great extent if you Restart your mobile device.
So, to fix the Facebook App-linked “You are currently offline” issue, perform the steps given below depending upon the device you use, to Restart the Smartphone.
Steps to Restart Android Phone
- First of all, long press the power button present on the right side of your Android phone until you see the three-option menu.
- Choose the Power off button.
- After waiting for a few seconds, press the same power button for a few seconds until you see the logo on the screen.
- Let your Android phone restart and after sometime check if the Facebook App on it is now working properly or not.
Steps to Restart iPhone (X & above)
- Long press one of the volume up or down button along with the side button for around 6-7 seconds.
- Drag the appeared Power-off slider.
- Then restart your iPhone after waiting for thirty seconds by pressing the side button for a long time till the Apple Logo flashes up on the screen.
- Now, check the functioning of the Facebook App on your device after it restarts properly.
Fix 5: Update the Facebook App
It is very important to keep your Apps updated as the updates for various apps are introduced from time to time to fix the existing issues in the App.
So, if you are facing any kind of trouble with your Facebook App, then updating it can be a good way to troubleshoot the error.
You just have to check if the update is available and choose the option to update in case you find it on the App/Play Store.
Steps for updating the Facebook App on Android
- First of all, launch the Google Play Store App on your Android device.
- Now, select the menu or profile icon from the top.
- Choose the My Apps and games option.
- Locate the Facebook App and tap on the option to update it.
- Once updated, check if the issue has been resolved or not.
Steps for updating the App on iPhone
- First of all, you have to visit the App Store on your iPhone.
- Choose the tab Today.
- From the top of the screen, choose the profile icon.
- Now, you have to scroll down the list to see if Facebook App has got any update available, if yes then update it.
In case you discover that the Facebook version on your device is already the latest one, then move on to the next fix for troubleshooting the issue.
Fix 6: Uninstall Facebook App and then Reinstall
Deleting the App for troubleshooting the different kinds of issues with the App is a common and widely followed technique. You can get rid of mostly all the bug-related issues by doing so.
This removes all the stored data from your smartphone, related to the App. After the installation, you will be required to login again into your Facebook account.
We are separately furnishing below, the set of steps with which you can try to eliminate the “You are currently offline” problem on the concerned App as per the different devices. So, follow accordingly.
Steps To Reinstall Facebook app on Android:
- First of all, go to your device’s Settings.
- Choose the Apps & Notifications alternative.
- From the Apps’ list, choose Facebook.
- Now, opt for the Delete option.
- After uninstalling the Facebook App, go to the Google Play Store.
- Search for the Facebook App and then open its page.
- Now, tap on Install and wait for the process completion.
- You are almost done now, open your newly installed Facebook App and login to your account. Now, the issue must have been resolved.
Steps To Reinstall Facebook app on iPhone:
- Touch and hold the Facebook App icon.
- The Delete option will appear. Choose it.
- Tap Confirm to delete the Facebook App.
- Now, go to the App store and search for Facebook App.
- Select the Install option from Facebook App’s page. Make sure you are installing its latest version.
- Finally, login to your account with your email and password after completion of the Installation process. The issue must have been resolved now.