MetaMask is an open-source crypto wallet where you can store your Ethereum-based cryptocurrencies.
The wallet application provides a tidy and easy user interface. It can also be used to store NFT digital arts and other crypto collectibles.
MetaMask is accessible as a web browser extension. Therefore, you don’t require to download any software to use it, or if you wish to use it on your mobile, the application is available.
Users are required to pay a fee while shifting their assets to or from various blockchain systems into their MetaMask accounts.
The amount of fee to be paid depends on the blockchain network used. However, facing glitches with the application is common, and MetaMask is no different.
There are times when the application fails to open or start on the device.
Metamask Not Working
Many MetaMask users often report that their MetaMask wallet is not working appropriately. Sometimes, the App crashes, or the browser doesn’t connect to the MetaMask wallet.
MetaMask is digital software, and therefore it can show some technical drawbacks like some people having trouble checking their transaction status, many reported wallet loading issues, and much more.
Due to MetaMask not working, the Ethereum-based assets of many users get blocked inside the wallet, and they are not able to transfer or utilize them.
We have come up with some helpful and working fixes that can help to resolve the MetaMask not working issue.
Why Metamask is Not Working?
MetaMask not working issue can be because of several reasons. The significant ones are mentioned below.
- The issue can be due to some bugs or glitches in your web browser.
- If the website with which you are trying to connect your MetaMask wallet does not support your wallet’s current network, then a MetaMask Not working issue may arise.
- Your MetaMask extension may be outdated. If your MetaMask version is not up-to-date, then it may lead to the MetaMask not working issue.
- MetaMask not working issue can be due to the stored cache files on your MetaMask Extension.
- The MetaMask not working issue can also occur if the MetaMask server is down.
How To Fix Metamask Not Working?
There are some fixes that you can try yourself to solve the MetaMask Not Working issue.
You can try them one by one in the same manner as we are providing them here so that you can fix the problem in the least possible time.
Fix 1: Restart The Browser
Many times the trouble is with your web browser, because of which MetaMask may not be working appropriately.
Therefore, restarting the browser can help to resolve the issue. You can restart your browser in the following manner.
- On the top-right corner of your browser, you will find three dots. Click on them.
- On clicking the three dots, a dropdown menu list will appear. Click on the Exit option, which you will find at the bottom of that list.
- Now that you have closed your browser, you have to re-open it and check if MetaMask is working properly now.
Fix 2: Restart The Computer
Sometimes, restarting your computer system can also fix the MetaMask not working issue. You can restart your computer system in the following way.
- On the bottom-left corner of your computer screen, you will find the start button. Click on it.
- After clicking on the start icon, you have to select the power off icon and then click on the Shutdown option.
- Now, re-open your computer system and then go to MetaMask to check if the issue has been resolved or not.
Fix 3: Lock And Unlock Metamask
To fix the MetaMask Not Working issue, you can also attempt Locking and then re-logging into your MetaMask account.
After locking the application, you will need to enter your password again or provide the biometrics again to unlock your MetaMask account.
- Before trying this fix, make sure that you remember your Secret Recovery phrase.
- First of all, open your MetaMask wallet and select the profile icon from the top right corner of your screen.
- From the dropdown menu, select the Lock option. This will lock your MetaMask application.
- Alternatively, you can also set the Auto-lock timer by going to settings and then selecting the Advanced option. Then you can enter the time for the Auto-lock timer in minutes, after which you want it to get locked automatically.
Fix 4: Change Metamask Network
To resolve the MetaMask not working issue, you may try switching to another network on MetaMask. The steps for doing so are given below.
- On your preferred web browser, open your MetaMask account.
- Near your profile icon, you will find the Ethereum Mainnet menu option. Click on it.
- On clicking the Ethereum Mainnet option, a list will appear, choosing a different network from it. Now, check if the problem is resolved or not.
Fix 5: Switch To The Latest Metamask Version
You should make sure that the MetaMask version you are currently running is the latest. To check this, you can follow the below-given steps.
- First of all, you need to go to the official Website of MetaMask.
- After this, you can find the Download now option on the screen. Select it.
- On the bottom of the screen, you will find the button “Install MetaMask for Chrome.” Click on it.
- After performing the third step, you will be redirected to the Chrome Web Store. There you will find the overview option. Select it.
- Now note the MetaMask version listed under the Additional Information section.
- Now you have to make sure that it is the same MetaMask version that is installed on your browser. To check your MetaMask version, keep following the steps further.
- Open your installed MetaMask Extension by clicking on its icon.
- On clicking your profile picture, a menu will appear. You have to select the settings option from it.
- On clicking the settings option, a set of options will appear. Go to the last option, ‘About,’ and click on it.
- After opening the About section, check your MetaMask extension version. Make sure that it matches the version which we noted in the fifth step.
- If you find your installed MetaMask version to be outdated, then uninstall it and then download the latest version of MetaMask Extension.
- In case your extension version is up-to-date, you can still try re-installing it in order to refresh it.
Before uninstalling your current version, make sure you remember your recovery phrase. If not, then you should, first of all, see it by going to your profile picture and clicking it.
Then go to Settings, followed by Security & Privacy, and then check your recovery phrase by clicking on the option to reveal it.
Fix 6: Clear Site Data
If all of the above-provided options fail to resolve your MetaMask Not Working problem, then you can follow the below-given steps to clear site data.
This will remove all the problem-causing cache files from the MetaMask extension.
- Open your MetaMask home screen and right-click anywhere on it. Then a menu will open. Choose the Inspect option from it, which you will find at the bottom of the list.
- In the new window that now opens, select the Application Tab.
- Under the application section, you will find the storage option on the left side. Click on it.
- Now, you will find the button ‘Clear Site Data’ on your screen. Click on it.
Fix 7: Make Sure MetaMask Servers Are Up
Although this is rare, sometimes MetaMask servers get down, causing the MetaMask not working issue. In this case, you can check the servers of MetaMask by following the below-mentioned steps.
- First of all, open the SaaSHub website and type MetaMask.io in the search bar and then open it.
- Now you will find the Status page option on the MetaMask.io page. You have to click on that option.
- Now, from the status page, you can see the MetaMask server’s status. It can be either ‘Up’ or ‘Down.’
- If it indicates that the server is ‘Down,’ then you can only wait for it to get ‘Up’ again.
- On the other hand, if the status page indicates that the server is ‘Up,’ then you can try the next fix.
Fix 8: Remove Browsing Data
The browser’s cache files may get corrupted sometimes, causing the MetaMask not working issue. In this case, you need to clear the browsing data to resolve the issue.
On Chrome, you can do this in the following manner.
- First of all, you have to launch your Google Chrome web browser.
- On the top-right corner of your Chrome window, you will find the three-dot menu. Click on it.
- After this, the menu will open. Then you have to choose Settings.
- In the left panel of the chrome window, you will find the Privacy and Security option. You have to click on it.
- In the Privacy and Security menu, the first alternative that will come up will be ‘Clear Browsing Data. Choose it.
- After this, choose “All time” time range and select the advanced tab and check the relevant boxes.
- ‘Auto-fill form data’ and ‘Passwords and other sign-in data’ are not to be checked.
- After checking the relevant boxes, choose the Clear Data option to clear the browser’s cache.
Fix 9: Reset MetaMask
MetaMask support community generally doesn’t advise you to try this fix without consulting their agents.
Therefore, after you have taken guidance from some MetaMask experts, then you can use this resetting alternative for fixing MetaMask not working problems.
If you reset your MetaMask Account, then all of your saved data, caches, notifications, and transaction history will be lost.
Only your assets like crypto balance and NFTs will be left in your wallet. Moreover, resetting does not cancel any of your transactions.
Also, before beginning this procedure, make certain that you memorize your Recovery Phrase. Contrarily you will be unable to access your MetaMask wallet again.
Now, let’s see the steps to Reset the MetaMask account.
- First of all, you need to go to the MetaMask extension on your preferred Web browser.
- On the top right corner of your MetaMask’s home screen, you will find the profile icon. Click on it.
- Thereupon, choose the Settings option from the menu that comes up.
- Under the settings, you will get many options in the left pane. Opt for the ‘advanced’ option.
- Now, you will get the ‘Reset Account’ option at the bottom of the screen. Click on it to reset your MetaMask account.
MetaMask Not Working has now become a common issue that users often report. We have provided you with nine working and easy fixes that can help you resolve the problem.
Starting from restarting your web browser, you can try all the fixes up to resetting your MetaMask account in the end. We hope that these fixes will prove to be beneficial for you.
If all of these fixes fail to help you sort out the issue, then you can reach out to the MetaMask support team for help, or you can search the community forums for assistance.